Genital Hygiene 101
The concept of genital hygiene is a broad term that includes hygiene behaviors and care practices that protect from genital infections, maintain genital infections and improve health. In cases where genital hygiene is not provided, microorganisms multiply rapidly in this region and cause reproductive system infections. When these infections are not treated, they can cause many health problems. In particular, the susceptibility to infection in this region is increasing due to the lack of knowledge and misbehavior about it.
Why Is It Essential To Keep Genitals Clean?
For vagina owners, vaginal health and reproductive health are very important as they are crucial parts of our body. Vagina should be clean and dry to prevent infections and other problems. Vaginal discharge, a white or clear substance coming out of the body, is a common thing and there is nothing strange about it. If it comes in different colors or smells bad then it is advisable to refer to a doctor.
For penis owners, it is essential to keep your penis clean and healthy. When you go for a bath, don’t forget to thoroughly rinse. And if you have a foreskin, make sure to pull it back with care and wash underneath it too. When you miss cleaning your foreskin properly, a cheesy-looking substance can gather, which is known as smegma.
It can cause discomfort in pulling your foreskin back. This can also create a breeding ground for bacteria around the penis. When it is not taken care of it can even lead to redness and swelling of the head of your penis. Not cleaning underneath the foreskin can cause poor private area hygiene, causing an off-putting smell.
Methods To Keep Genitals Hygienic
For vagina owners-
- Hands should be washed before and after using the toilet.
- The genital area should be cleaned with clean water from front to back
- The genital area should be kept clean and dry.
- Take a standing shower rather than sitting or bathing in the tub.
- Vaginal douching should be avoided to preserve the vaginal flora.
- Substances that may cause allergic reactions such as deodorant, spray, perfume, the powder should not be used in cleaning the genital area.
- Cotton underclothes should be used to provide ventilation of the genital area.
- Hot water and soap should be preferred for cleaning underclothes.
- Well-rinsed ironed and non-squeezing cotton underclothes should be preferred and underclothes should be changed every day.
For penis owners-
- Wash the genitals everyday. The penis, scrotum, anus, as well as the pubic hair should be washed everyday with a mild soap and water.
- After urinating, you must shake the penis gently so as to expel the remaining drops of urine. You must also wipe the area dry.
- The anus should be wiped dry with a tissue or cleaned with water after a bowel movement.
- You must make it a habit to wash your hands after urinating and after cleaning the anus as germs can easily spread through your hands.
- The base of the penis and the testicles also need to be cleaned daily to avoid a strong sweaty smell from the pubic hair.
Genital hygiene is an important ritual which must be taught to everyone. It is important to maintain good genital hygiene to keep the body clean and free from harmful germs and bacteria. Regular washing of genitals ensures that the genital organs are clean and stay healthy. There are certain types of bacteria which are normally found in the genital area. They are harmless and are in fact important for maintaining the skin in a healthy state. However, an excess build-up of bacteria due to inadequate washing of the genitals can harm the skin and eventually lead to various health related issues.
Cover Illustration: fitpage.in